Certified ethical hacker course also referred to as CHE, is one of the most coveted ICT professional certification offered by many institutions around the world and examined by International council of E-commerce consultants. This course is highly recommended for ICT security personnel and auditors. Some of the hiring managers ensure that all candidates shortlisted for ICT security/ ICT audit vacancies are CHE certified.
CHE equips the learner with hands on skills to hack a computer system or any information system. However, the main objective of this course is not to teach the learner how to hack. Once the student understands the process of hacking, they are in a better position to prevent hacking attacks.
This course is offered as a 5 day full day training program or on a part time basis, usually 2-3 hours in the evenings. In addition, some online training institutions offer the course online by using videos. The duration it takes a student to finish the online course is not fixed and depends on the student capability to grasp the content. This mode is preferred by busy ICT professionals who may not have time to attend instructor based classes.
The main focus of the Certified Ethical Hacking courses is analyzing security threats, understanding advanced hacking techniques, show case real time hacking techniques, tools, methodologies, security measures and the tricks employed by hackers.
It is a requirement that you understand the basic fundamentals of information systems before you enroll for this course. Otherwise, you will not understand the course contents. During the training, there are many lab activities, which require advanced ICT technical skills. If you don’t have such skill, the course might not be as interesting as it ought to be.
About 40% of the time is spent on practical lab activities which include,
– Hacking an information system
– Analysis of information systems vulnerabilities
– Exploring new hacking techniques
– Exploring hacking of mobile devices and tablets
– Analysis of operating systems environment such as windows server 2012, windows 10, Linux as well as android devices.
During the theory classes, the topics listed below are discussed in details
– Introduction to hacking
– Network scanning and the countermeasures that can be put in place to prevent hacking
– Enumeration techniques
– Information systems vulnerabilities and the loopholes hackers take advantage during the illegal access
– Information system/ computing systems hacking methodologies
– Tools and techniques used during packet sniffing
– Denial of service attacks also known as DOS
– Session hijacking techniques and the countermeasures that you can employ
– Firewall evasion techniques, including intrusion detection systems and devices
– Web server attacks and countermeasures
– SQL injection hacking techniques and ways to prevent such
One of the most interesting topics is hacking wireless networks and the mobile platforms. This is intriguing since Wi-Fi has become part of our daily lives. Most people are not aware that wireless networks can be hacked. For this reason, they have programmed easily simple passwords that can be cracked easily. Moreover, advance security configurations have not been set, even though the devices they use can support the complex configurations.
Kindly note that the objective of this course is not train hackers. You will be asked to sign an agreement that the knowledge acquired during the CHE training will not be used in illegal activities.