Are you looking for simple ways to support your little one as he or she progresses through the elementary school years? In your child’s first years of school, it’s more important than ever to get him or her into healthy study habits and instill a love of learning. Here are three simple things you could do to help your child get a strong educational foundation from the get-go.
- Create a Comfortable Learning Environment at Home
Whether your child attends Severna Park MD schools or another school system, it’s important to create a healthy learning environment at home, too. Even if your child is at a great school, having a supportive and comfortable environment when he or she comes home from school every day can provide essential motivation. Encourage your child every day, be there to answer his or her questions and make sure your child has a dedicated study area in the house.
- Help Instill Good Study Habits in Your Child
Good study habits form early on, so it’s important to teach your child how to study by discussing and modeling ideal habits. Show your child how to:
- Manage time well and learn to prioritize different tasks
- Learn from failure and learn how to move forward in a positive manner
- Avoid distractions and stay focused
- Get into a consistent homework routine
- Gain a sense of intrinsic motivation and excitement for learning
- Get Involved at Your Child’s School Events
Lastly, remember that you can also get involved at your kid’s school and participate in local events. You can talk with his or her teachers to get a better understanding of the curriculum, participate in school fundraisers and join the parent-teacher association, for instance.
Supporting your child’s academic efforts in elementary school is essential in establishing a good foundation for his or her learning abilities later in life. In order to give your child a strong start, it’s important to be as helpful as possible in the early years. Try these three strategies to get started.